And let the finger-pointing begin! Much information has come to light since yesterday's announcement of Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner's divorce news broke yesterday afternoon. Here's a run down of some of the information we've learned:
- Hollywood Life claims that though Ben loves being a dad, Jennifer went full mom, and ended up being less of a wife in the long run. HL also claims that he felt like he wasn't being himself and he was always having to give up the things he loved for her. Well, that sounds like the plot line of her Husband in Juno.
- TMZ says that Jennifer was "fed up" with his gambling. He was also allegedly banned from the Hard Rock in Vegas for counting cards in 2014. The article also adds they have been separated for 10 months.
— ➊AlexCam ⏩ (@1alexcam) May 5, 2014
- Ben and Jen have no prenup, according to another article from TMZ, and that in California, the "10 Year Rule" of spousal support, if Jen was earning less money, Ben would owe her monthly payments. But because of Jen's fortune from her movies, endorsements, ect, she will not need that, and probably won't qualify for it.
- US Magazine claims that the pair almost split 3 years ago, and have been in couples counseling trying to heal the broken marriage. Sam was born, and that was a potential reason why the couple stayed together.
- US also shared the quote that cleared up they were having a tough time when he had his acceptance speech for his directorial win for Argo: "I want to thank you for working on our marriage for 10 Christmases. It's good. It is work but the best kind of work and there's no one I'd rather work with. You have to work harder than you think you possibly can. It's hard. But you can't hold grudges. And it doesn't matter if you get knocked down in life. All that matters is that you gotta get back up." This makes the divorce in the public eye that much more sad, that you could tell they both really tried but it just didn't pan out.
- And finally, the kids. TMZ reported the following: "We're told the divorce is amicable and Ben and Jen will share joint custody of their 3 children, ranging in ages from 3 to 9."
We still hope for the best for the two of them, and that this all goes as smoothly as it can. Both are driven and talented individuals, and we're sure they will be fine once it's all final.
Amy Cooper is a writer and pop culture fact nerd, and on multiple occasions has been referred to as a “Walking iPod.”